Monday, October 3, 2016

Day 146, mile 2,644 (99.8% of the trail)

Been going a lot faster recently. Did 31.5 miles with 6,000 ft gain in 10.8 hours, giving an average speed of 2.9 mph. The day before, I did 30.0 miles, 7,400 ft gain in 10.1 hours, 3.0 mph. My usual speed in this kind of terrain is around 2.3-2.5 mph, so this is a big jump. The only things I've changed are that I'm eating less and taking much smaller steps. The latter seems to preserve my legs much better throughout the day. Did I really just get a free 20% boost in hiking speed? I'm also feeling less tired when I get to camp, so it's not that I'm just exerting myself more. If I can sustain this, I could do the 301 miles I skipped in NorCal, which is much flatter than Washington, in 9-10 days. I can't believe it took 2,300 miles to figure out my gait was wrong.

I'm also 6 miles from the northern terminus. Going to tag it in the morning then head up 8 miles into Canada to Manning Park. From there, I'm going to Vancouver by bus. Then I have to figure out the cheapest way to get back to Etna, mile 1,597.

Mice are scurrying around my tent. They already chewed through a like-new pair of Arc'teryx gloves. Very annoying. 

1 comment:

  1. I bet your body is so adapted now, so your natural pace is different. 20% is significant! Wow, the mice sound gross. At least they're not getting inside the tent. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete